I will be honest, sewing makes me nervous! Although, I have been somewhat successful with my sewing machine a few times in the past (like with this refashioned T-shirt), I simply haven't used it enough to feel comfortable. Every time I go to use the machine, I have to figure out how to get it all set up and threaded. Plus, as was the case with my last project,it usually messes up at some point! I am sure there is a very good explanation for each of these operator errors! However, I am left with no clue where I went wrong, or why it is malfunctioning! Therefore, I start all over threading my machine, and hope for the best my next time around! My attempts at making a Bible cover utterly failed! Since then, I have been a little reluctant to take on any projects that might require me to use the machine! However, I have been wanting to make Kyria a cute fabric banner to put in her room! Despite my best efforts to figure out a way to craft this without having to mess with my machine, I finally gave in! I am very thankful I did! Sewing with the machine made this project go by much more quickly, and it looks way better now than if I would have tried to do it by hand! Although I did have one glitch (that I still don't know the reason for . . . ), overall I would say this sewing experience was quite fun! Yea! Perhaps this is just what I was needing to get over my sewing machine blues!
Here is a little tutorial as to what I did, and if I can do it . . . you can too!:
First of all, I bought a fabric bundle that had about 20 of these little squares! You wouldn't have to buy the bundle if you already have fabric, but for me the bundle was the cheapest way to go! Plus, this pack was so cute, and had the perfect prints/colors for Kyria's nursery!
Next, I folded the squares in half, which was easy because there was already a nice crease from the bundle!
Then I cut from corner to corner with my new pinking shears. These cost me about $12, but I can already tell they are going to be a great investment! Mostly I got them because I was nervous about sewing all the triangles with my machine - pinking shears are supposed to help with fraying, so I figured if I got these I wouldn't have to sew up the edges! I am not as concerned about that now, but I am very happy with the look the pinking shears created! It was even better than I hoped! Plus, it made the whole project very quick and easy!
Wa La! My first little pennant!
Finally, I used this bright yellow quilting tape to string them all together! The quilting tape worked perfectly! I found the perfect color, and the triangles fit nice and snug into the crease of the tape! This made it very easy to sew 'em all together! Just one straight line, and a back stitch at the end!
Also . . I am linking up this week with: