October 22, 2010

Fall Fun and Pumpkin Recipes

This past weekend, my husband and I had some college students (we help lead the college ministry at our church) over to carve pumpkins and shoot guns.  There will be more on the guns tomorrow . . . for today's post I wanted to share a little fall fun, and a couple pumpkin recipes.

A couple ladies bringing their pumpkins!

Carving the Pumpkins!

This is my pumpkin!  It is supposed to be a cross with a heart around it, but it looks more like rays! Oh well!

Let nothing go to waste!  Roasted pumpkin seeds taste amazing!  

Here is the easy recipe:

Pumpkin seeds from your freshly carved pumpkin (just separate them from the "goop" as you go)
Butter - about 2 Tablespoons (a little less or a little more depending on your preference)
Salt (just season to your liking)

Directions:  Rinse your pumpkin seeds off with warm water in a strainer to get all the pumpkin goop off.  Next melt butter, and pour over seeds.  Finally, salt to your liking.  Spread seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Mix them around occasionally.  I gave these to my students at school and they were a hit!  I bet your kids would love 'em too!

Pumpkin Pasta!  I found this recipe at Thy Hand Hath Provided:

Ingredients:

1 pound pasta (the choice is yours)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2-4 handfuls of chopped fresh or frozen spinach, kale or swiss chard (I used spinach)
3 1/2 cups cooked and pureed butternut squash or pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2-3 tbsp. pesto (or 2 ice-cube-tray pesto cubes)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2-3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cups sliced almonds

Cook the pasta according to the directions, drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet or pot, saute the spinach (or kale or chard) in the oil until it has wilted but hasn't turned brown. Add the pumpkin puree (I made this by putting my pumpkin "goop" in a food processor and hitting puree - I guess I did it right?), chicken (or vegetable) broth and pesto, stirring to combine everything. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil. In a small bowl, measure out cornstarch. Add one cup of the simmering sauce to the cornstarch and stir well with a fork until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add this back into the sauce pan and continue stirring until the sauce has thickened slightly.  
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Taste it and add more salt if needed. Add the drained and cooked pasta to the sauce and stir gently to coat pasta well.
Pour into a large-enough baking dish greased with cooking spray. Top with almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top has browned slightly. Serves about 8.

This was yummy!  My husband suggested adding chicken - the carnivore that he is! Either way, it's great!

Enjoy!  Also, be sure to check out other fall recipes from Thy Hand Hath Provided!


2 comments:

  1. Did you grow the pumpkins too?

    We love pumpkins seeds here too. I think I like butternut squash seed roasted even better though - have you tried roasting them?

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi, I am sorry to say we did not grow these pumpkins ourselves. As we are just starting to homestead, we will wait until spring to plant our garden. Pumpkins are most definitely included though, and squash! I will have to try to butternut squash seeds! We had some not too long ago, next time we will try to roast the seeds! Thanks for the idea! You have a great weekend too! Also . . . I think it is awesome that your family is running together! My husband and I did a 5K not too long ago - we both participated in athletics growing up and love to be active! Thanks again!
    ~AFG
    Megan Jenelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments!

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. ~ Col. 4:6 :)